SKU (ISBN): 9781613689998
Binding: Trade Paper
Common Core Mastery
Publisher: Evan-Moor Educational Publishers
Ideal for preparing your sixth-grade students for state writing assessments and meeting new standards, this series provides scaffolded text-based writing practice with essential writing forms, such as:
* Cause and effect
* Compare and contrast
The 12 units provide activities that prepare students to complete text-dependent writing prompts.
Each unit begins with a unit focus and lesson checklist to guide students through the learning path, which includes:
* a dictionary page that introduces content words
* close reading of a leveled nonfiction article
* text-dependent comprehension questions to support understanding
* a graphic organizer to help students organize information from the article and plan their writing
* a text-dependent writing prompt
* a writing evaluation that guides students in evaluating their essay
Teachers will appreciate these additional resources and features!
* Downloadable home-school connection activities and projects help teachers encourage learning at home.
* Common Core State Standards correlations are located on each unit for easy reference.
* The reading level is provided to help identify appropriate texts.
* The suggested learning path helps teachers pace the lesson, and makes scaffolding easy!
The sixth grade content-area topics fall under these categories:
* Health articles
* Science articles
* Social studies articles
* Technology articles
* Visual arts articles
Better Together! Nonfiction Writing and Text-Based Writing: Nonfiction
Nonfiction Writing introduces students to the elements of expository, narrative, and persuasive writing, while Text-Based Writing asks students to practice these nonfiction writing forms in text-dependent paragraphs and essays.